This is a what-will-I-make-for-dinner-I-am-sure-they-will-have-a-meat-on-sale-oops!-they-don’t-well-I-have-spinach-in-the-house recipe. In other words, I was down to the wire for making dinner (my mother would freak out if she knew I didn’t have it all planned ahead of time, or better yet a week ahead of time), found I had spinach, sausage cheese and eggs and came up with this. Isn’t it nice that eggs cook quickly?
Cheesy Creamy Sausage and Spinach Fritatta (S)
1 lb Italian sausage, without casing
1 package spinach (one of those salad sized packages they have at the store, you know)
1 bar reduced fat cream cheese (or full fat; it is an S after all)
1 tsp salt
8 eggs (or some eggs and some egg whites if you prefer; I hate to use too many eggs at once or I have to go back to the grocery store)
1-2 cups mozzarella cheese (I am not much of a measurer, can you tell?)
1/4 c nutritional yeast
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Cook Italian sausage in a pot on the stove until brown and cooked through, breaking it up as you go.
3. Add the spinach to the pot with the sausage, cover and cook for about 5 more minutes until the spinach has begun to wilt and takes up a lot less room.
4. In a 9×13 casserole, beat the eggs (I like to use as few dishes as possible and really, why not just mix things in the casserole dish?)
5. Add salt, cheese, nutritional yeast, and sausage and spinach mixture to the eggs.
6. Cut the cream cheese into chunks and add to the casserole.
7. Stir everything together, mushing the cream cheese with your spoon as you do. There can still be some chunks (I like biting into a creamy bit once in a while) but you want to spread it out some.
8. Bake for approximately 30 minutes until eggs are cooked and the whole thing is well set.