This recipe uses a modified version of my calzone dough. If you are a THM, these are an S meal. If your goal is to keep them low carb, be sure to check the package of the sausages you use as they can vary a lot in how many fillers they use. The ones I used this time, which I believe were Hillshire Farms Turkey Little Smokies, had 3g of carbs for 5 links. My kids haven’t had real bagel dogs in a while but they were quite pleased with these.
Gluten-Free Bagel Dogs
1/2 c millet flour (may be omitted to keep it super low carb)
1 c blanched almond flour (must be blanched; almond meal is not the same)
1/2 c coconut flour
1/2 psyllium husk powder
1 tbsp xantham gum
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 c olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 to 3 c boiling water
1 package cocktail franks
1. Put some water on to boil in a kettle.
2. Preheat to 400 and grease two cookie sheets (I use coconut oil for this).
3. In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (that’s the first 7 of them). Mix well.
4. Add in the oil and vinegar. Mix well. The dough will still be fairly dry at this point.
5. Add 2 cups of the boiling water. Stir. Add more water 1/2 c at a time until all the dry ingredients are well-moistened. The psyllium husk powder sort of swells up when you add the boiling water. It also takes a few seconds to absorb all the water it can so you want to add it, stir, wait a few seconds and then evaluate if you need more. You want no flour-y dry bits left and also I found the dough was easier to work with and actually stuck to my hands less when it was moister.
6. Wait a few minutes until the dough it manageable (you did just add boiling water to this mess), then take one sausage link and a small piece of dough. Flatten out the dough with your fingers and wrap it around the link, pinching the edges to seal it. Place on a cookie sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough and links.
7. When you cookie sheet is full, place it in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. I found that the dough and links worked out just about evenly. The dough will not change color substantially but mine were lightly browned on the bottom when done.