I haven’t been adhering strictly to the Trim Healthy Mama (THM) way of eating (WOE; don’t you love acronyms?) in recently months. I still have it in the back of my mind, but have been leaning more towards JUDDD. But my teenage daughter recently expressed an interest in it and so I have been trying to cook THM for her and also to adhere more to it myself in a show of solidarity. It has been working for her, at least to some degree. I try not to ask about it too often.
I don’t know about you, but I find it harder to come up with low-fat (THM E) recipes, especially ones my whole family can eat since we also have other food sensitivities. This recipe fit the bill. It is low-fat, dairy-free, soy-free, and gluten-free. Unfortunately, I had a computer error and lost half the pictures, including the ones of the finished product, so you will have to use a bit of imagination.
Low-Fat Burrito Pie
3 c cooked rice (a great way to use up leftovers!)
2 cans fat-free refried beans
2x 12 oz. cans chicken (or leftover cooked chicken, cut into small chunks or shredded)
1 tsp salt
chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste
1x 15 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp salt
chili powder to taste
gluten-free corn tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Mix together in a large bowl the precooked rice, chicken, beans, 1 tsp salt, and seasonings.
3. In another bowl, stir 1/2 tsp salt and additional chili powder into tomato sauce.
4. Cut tortillas into quarters to make wedges.
5. In a 9×13″ casserole dish, spread a couple of tablespoons of the sauce. Place a single layer of tortilla wedges on top of sauce. Spread with 1/3 of rice and bean mixture. Top with 1/3 of remaining sauce. Continue to layer in this fashion (like you would for a lasagna): tortillas, rice and beans, sauce. End with a layer of tortilla wedges and the last of the sauce.
6. Cover loosely with foil and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
If desired, you can serve fat-free sour cream or Greek yogurt as a topping for those who can eat dairy.